- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup apple butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole bran cereal or wheat germ
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13-inch pan.
- Prepare the topping by mixing together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chopped pecans.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy; add eggs one at a time, thoroughly beating each egg into the butter mixture before adding the next. Add apple butter, vanilla, and wheat germ or bran cereal. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with sour cream; mix well after each addition.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan; sprinkle with half of the topping. Pour remaining batter into pan and top with the rest of the topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.