Instead of just plain white cupcakes, take it a step further and make them special. You can even change the colors for other holidays – green for St. Patrick’s Day, pastel colors for Easter, or red, white and blue for the 4th of July.
- 1 (18.25 oz) package white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 8 drops red food coloring
- 2 drops raspberry candy oil
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Beat the cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and egg whites together on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium for 2 minutes, until smooth. Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full with white batter; set aside.
- Stir 4 drops of red food coloring into the remaining bowl of batter to make the batter pink, stir in the raspberry oil. Pour 1/3 of pink batter into a resealable plastic bag and set aside.
- Mix more food coloring into the remaining bowl of pink batter until it is an orange/red color and pour the batter into a resealable plastic bag. Cut a corner off the bag, stick the open tip into the center of the red batter and squeeze about 1 tablespoon pink batter into each cup.
- Cut the corner off the bag with the pink batter, stick the open tip in the center of the red batter and squeeze about 1 tablespoon pink batter into each cup.
- Bake the layered cupcakes in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted intot he center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
Recipe originally posted on AllRecipes.com